View Single Post
Old
10-09-2003, 07:10 AM
discostu

vCash: 500
QUick comments on the interview:

-As I thought, the comment about compensating Havlat based on his past performance has brought a lot of other comparisons in the mix, like Richards and Gagne. Also, it has brought a lot of comparisions against other Sens players, saying that their offer puts them 5th among Sens forwards and 9th on the team overall.

-Walsh made sure to identify that Havlat has moved from his original position, going from a 2 year deal to a one year deal.

Situation doesn't look good though. Obviously, Havlat's going to have to come back to the NHL some time, but when is the big issue. The presence of other contracts that were over and above what they should be (Richards, Gagne, etc.) are going to make this negotiation difficult. As much as I admire the move pulled by Muckler, iit's quite clear it didn't work out as expected. The Sens still hold all the cards, but Havlat looks to be fairly cemented in his position.

I'm still shocked that the contract talk has focused on one and two year deals, especially when they have a great template like Hossa's to use for a longer term deal.