View Single Post
Old
01-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Cartsiephan*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I very much doubt Meltzer would say something completely asinine, like "Carter is never in front of the net."

Which you claimed earlier this year.

There are aspects of Carter's game that are easily game for relevant criticism. Some of those you make. Many of the critiques you offer of Carter are based entirely in a skewed vision brought about by your a priori dislike for Carter.

Of course, if we were to get into Meltzer's critique of Carter's game, I have some problems with the criticisms he has made. Most specifically Meltzer likes to harp on inconsistency in offensive production in players. Well, that's life. If everyone consistently produced, we'd have a lot more guys putting up huge point totals. Every player but the elite go through ebbs and flows, that's just the way it is.
Carter is a soft player, it is who he is, when he amps it up and plays with a little more intesity to consistency his play elevates. He will go to the front of the net but I would like to see him there more often.

My ciritiques are based on watching this kid play over the last couple years. I think he has the talent and ability to be much better and more consistent. He is in his 6th NHL season, he is not a guy who can just rely on people not knowing who he is. That means he needs to adapt to gain skills and pieces of his game to continue to get better, if that means moving to wing and being a support guy while taking faceoffs, so be it. I do not see that intensity in his game and the fact that he does not like contact is a direct correlation to why he has dropped in his production during the playoffs IMO.

Cartsiephan* is offline   Reply With Quote