View Single Post
Old
01-14-2011, 03:39 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Dude, Iggy is my binky. Of course you got my gears turning. I see this as finding a vet replacement for Sullivan.

Sully + Ward + Tootoo = Iggy's salary. Sully and Ward are UFAs and Tootoo would be the salary that would pay for Iggy for the rest of this year.

Iggy's offensive presence would take pressure off the Sk line. If the expected rev. share/cap bump is 3 million, Weber is paid for and the spare cash goes to RFAs.

The only way this moves is if this is healthy for Tootoo and his recovery. Another factor is Ryan Blum. Right now, I can't see him making the NHL in Nashville. He's a very good prospect but frankly the depth in Nashville is too great.

I would like to make a move for a wing where you can move Tootoo, Blum, picks, and maybe one more prospect. The second question is the center situation.

Right now Legwand, Spaling, and Smithson are under contract. O'Reilly will be healthy next year and Goc is a UFA. There is so many factors with this:

Will Lombardi healthy? Will Goc over price himself? Is O'Reilly the future?

The logic states that the Preds need to make a move to get a center but Iggy seems a good fit too.
Since you later mention trading Blum (instead of Ryan Ellis), I'm assuming you are referring to Jonathon Blum not having a spot where I first bolded. If the Predators consider Ellis or Josi ready and they/Calgary prefer Blum, that's fine.

As for the second part I bolded, the Predators could certainly make a move for another center. Assuming it's a pendiing UFA brought in, then I would presume only one of Goc, O'Reilly, and the new center makes the team next season unless Lombardi does not return allowing a second to be re-upped- essentially giving Poile lots of options for next season. If a non-rental is brought in, that will be interesting.

Iginla fits for so many reasons. His age makes him a risk, but not a huge one. His salary makes him a larger risk only if he rapidly declines during those two years. There's really been no sign of that occurring to this point however (in my opinion). If he plays up to his normal standards, his salary really isn't an issue provided SK74, Goc, O'Reilly, etc. aren't looking for $3 million each next season.

I don't think Poile even considers this if Iginla comes available. It's certainly not typical for him anyway.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote