View Single Post
Old
10-09-2003, 08:26 AM
kraigus

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
notice the trend here. Lowe does not acquire guys coming off their career year (buy low) while trading away guys who are near the top of their value (weight, guerin, carter, hammer) which is selling high.

York, Staios, Devo, torres, issbister were all pretty big question marks but are turning out pretty good. This may be a clue into who we get back from trading away comrie. Could be a recently sent down guy like coliocovo, or hamhuis. Could be a good young player who didn't impress in camp like upshall.
I don't think York and Devo were as big of a question mark as the others. York proved, at least, that he could play with the big boys and not look bad; Devo has scored, although... yeah, I guess his knee made him a question mark, but I'd say he's passed so far.

Staios was probably underrated and that was a very astute move by Lowe and his staff to see that.

Torres and Izzy are a gamble, big time.

I think given Lowe's proclivities, if MC goes, it'll be in return for at least one guy who has talent and perhaps just needs time in another city (like Smith, Staios, and Brewer), a high-risk high-return type of guy, and perhaps some picks or recently drafted player(s) - picks strikes me as more likely, if Lowe manages to fill needs rather than wants.

(I should say, this is the edit: that's the sort of thing that I think is likely Lowe will get back. I don't think Lowe is likely to get any single player who is as good as MC, ie a 22 year old 30 goal scorer who can play #2C for sure, looks good as a #1 too, doesn't back down from physical play, and is willing to take a bullet for the team.)