Thread: Value of: Spezza to STL
View Single Post
Old
01-16-2011, 04:10 PM
Bluester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by heusy_79 View Post
I think the Sens and Blues make good trading partners, with the Blues needing a big piece to take a step forward and the Sens looking at a rebuild. I was thinking of a Spezza to STL deal something along these lines.

To STL:

Spezza (7.0)
Lee (.875)

To OTT:
Boyes (4.0)
Oshie (1.25, impending RFA)
Allen
Berglund (1.25)

St. Louis gets a very talented first line center who I think would flourish in a less intense media market. He's more than capable of producing at a point per game level and I could see him hitting those levels again playing with a slick playmaker like Perron and a net crasher with skill like Backes. Giving up Oshie would be tough for St. Louis fans but they would have a strong top 9 and plenty of grit to make up for his loss. They also still would have plenty of cap room to add to their roster.

Ottawa rids themselves of a 7 million dollar player who although talented, isn't living up to expectations or his contract. In return for Spezza they get a former 40 goal scorer in Boyes who has only had one strong season in the 3 since, but has the talent to break out again. They also receive a young, gritty player in Oshie who could replace a guy like Fisher if Ottawa decides to move him. In addition, they get Berglund, a talented young center who has yet to fufill his potential in three NHL seasons, and Jake Allen, who is a strong goaltender prospect made expendable by the acquisition of Halak. Ottawa also gets roughly a half million in cap space this off-season (most of which would go to Oshie) but could free up $4mil by letting Boyes walk next off-season.
For that reason alone you get nothing close to what you want. Oshie is untouchable because he is a fan favorite and the Blues can't take the PR hit.

I would do Boyes for Spezza straight up. Both under performing players. However Spezza has more upside but the worse of the 2 contract wise.

Bluester is offline   Reply With Quote