View Single Post
Old
01-16-2011, 11:26 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Melville selects Josef Cerny, LW.

Cerny played in the Czech league from 1957 to 1978, and was a national team staple from 1959-1972. He was already 29 when the Golden hockey stick was introduced, but placed 2nd and 4th in voting in his two best seasons.

Cerny has an impressive array of scoring finishes in the Czech league: 1, 2, 4, 4, 7, 7.

He also has the best international record of any available Czech from the 60s-80s: 64 points in 85 games. In all, he snagged 5 Silvers and 6 Bronzes.

During the 10 seasons in which Cerny and Nedomansky both played in the Czech league,
Cerny scored 371 points to Ned's 494. (Cerny was 25-35 and Ned was 20-30, and this cuts off Cerny's scoring title from 1964)

Why not draft Cerny? Good question. He excelled at a level of competition that was more than acceptable for guys like Jirik and Golonka to be drafted a long time ago. Of course, those guys have a lot of grit to go with their scoring exploits. I considered Cerny a long time ago, when looking for an offensive ringer in the AAA. Ultimately, I liked Lala and Golikov better, and took Golikov. Then I totally forgot about Cerny. My bad. He's probably a better offensive player than any RW I took in the AA or the A.

edit: Cerny is a LW, not a RW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Of the Ice
From his very first games, he began to assert himself as a scorer... a very fast skater... From 1959, he had a regular place on the national team. He even became team captain... stayed on top of the overall GP list for a long time... througout his career, he grabbed every opportunity that came along to compete at a higher level...

Last edited by seventieslord: 01-24-2011 at 10:01 AM.
seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote