Old
01-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dan K
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
The people who want to give him the clause scare me.

Why give prospects contracts, then? Every European player will want to just go back home if they can't struggle to play from the minors to the main club. Alex Avtsin must look stupid now. Has to work his butt off learning the North American game but his buddy Emelin can just walk onto the team and if it doesn't work? Go back home and make millions!

Hey, lets not leave North American players out of this either! If they don't work out, we can just cut them loose and let them play for whatever AHL team feels more comfortable and hey, maybe there is an NHL team they'd rather play for! Let's make it easy on these guys, eh?

If Emelin isn't willing to learn the North American hockey game in the Canadien's system, and can't bear the embarrassment of being sent to the AHL, then he doesn't belong in the National Hockey League. I don't want players of fragile emotions and ego.

While I understand your perspective completely, the comparison to Avtsin doesn't hold water. Emelin will be a 25 year old with many years in the KHL under his belt, while Avtsin, now 19, is the youngest player in the AHL and had previously been struggling to secure his spot in the KHL.

Of course, I can't imagine Avtsin is too happy at the moment bouncing in and out of the Bulldogs' line-up, but that is beside the point. Avtsin and Emelin are very different cases. At 25, Emelin is more like signing a UFA out of Europe than giving a contract to a prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post
I don't see the harm. Give him the clause. As mentioned by others. A 10 game stint in the AHL might be beneficial also. THere is really nothing to lose. It isn't like he will break the bank anyways and at his age, I believe his entry level contract is a one year contract. Sign him, 10 game in the AHL, out clause to return to the KHL. Everyone is happy. Personally, I think he makes the team out of camp.

Gorges, Spacek, Subban, Weber.
We resign Markov
Try to resign Wiz or someone else.
Add Emelin, that's 7.

Play the top 6.
Now if only we could trick the NHL this summer into swapping Hamrlik's contract for Spacek's, so we can keep the better Czech.

Dan K is offline   Reply With Quote