View Single Post
Old
01-17-2011, 10:50 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blasted_Sabre View Post
Want no part of Wheeler. Starts with Colborne.
I get why folks would say this but it's a little peculiar to me because they are very similar players. Or at least, they were.

They're both 6'5" guys who played inferior Jr hockey and are/were considered long-term projects. They both played C and W in college and put up almost identical numbers their first two years in the WCHA. (At which point Colborne left for the AHL, while Wheeler stayed one more year, then made the jump directly to the NHL.)

And the knock on Colborne is the same as what the knock on Wheeler was: that he was (or in Colborne's case IS) a big kid who didn't know how to use it. Now, Wheeler has overcome his biggest weakness and Colborne is where Wheeler was 3 years ago, working through it. If anything, playing with high-energy/jam comes more naturally to Wheeler. (And I'd give Colborne the edge when it comes to shooting the puck.)

And even now, they're both still trending up and improving. You'd like to think Colborne has the higher upside, but I don't know how anyone could know that for sure considering the fact that Wheeler is also noticeably better and still improving.

Bottom line- you could trade for Colborne and end up with a player who is identical to Wheeler.