Thread: Rumor: Kaberle for Wheeler
View Single Post
Old
01-17-2011, 11:59 AM
nmbr_24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
Wheeler is a high-energy player with speed and size. One of the hardest workers on the ice for the B's. He gets in on the forecheck and yes, hits and disrupts the play. He works the corners and the front of the net. He's added a bit of a chippy edge to his game this season (which IMO, is why so many B's fans have changed their tune about him this year). He protects the puck. He can skate and he has good hands. He's one of our best PK'ers and imo, the only Leaf PK'er better is Sjostrom. He doesn't get much PP time, but when he does he's used at the top of the crease, screening the goalie, which he's very good at. He can play center, arguably his best position. And if there's a knock on him, it's that he's more of a pass-first player than a shooter, which would explain why he doesn't have a great shot, but may also explain why he looks more comfortable at C. And he's 24 and still progressing every year.

IMO, he'd jump onto your 2nd line with Kessel (either at C or LW) and it would be intriguing to see where he goes from there. I think most B's fans would expect him to be more productive in a more offensive role. And it would be interesting to see how his offensive game and chemistry with Kessel evolves.
I totally agree with you and I'll even go as far as saying I don't think we will see Wheeler at his best unless/until he is playing as a center.

That opens another can of worms for the Bruins since they are overstocked at center. Savard, Bergeron, Krejci, Seguin, Wheeler and that isn't even including their prospects.