View Single Post
Old
01-17-2011, 08:31 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad2891 View Post
Let's not forget Purcell is an RFA after this season as well.

If we're talking fill-ins from Norfolk, I'd prefer Blair Jones in there. He's a hard worker, defensively responsible and plays a physical, more playoff suited game. I couldn't care less if Ritola never plays another game in a Bolts uni, but that's just me.
It's always unfortunate to see a young, talented player having to deal with injuries instead of getting a foothold and fulfill his dream (to play in the NHL). On the other hand, it's kinda sad too, when you know there are extremely hard working and maybe even more promissing players in our system who would help us a lot more at the moment than that ginger on healthy scratch rotation. Jones was very close to making the team during pre-season and he'd definitely deserve it. He's great defensively and he'd also bring a more physical aspect to our game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Someone said our PP was at its best with Purcell in there and I agree 100%. His shot wasn't anything to keep an eye on defensively but his slick passing and stick handling opened up alot of things for MSL and Stammer. We kind of drifted away from the 2 unit PP and instead have loaded up on 1 unit and it hasn't worked and has made our top guys more drained.

I'd like to see a PP of:

Stamkos at his spot-Vinny down low-Purcell at the wall
Marty at the point-Kubina on the blue line right next to the wall.

Draw as much attention away from "the spot" as possible.
I agree. Never change a running system. Why was Clark removed from the first unit? Why put all our high skill players on one unit instead of spreading our scoring power over two units and therefore over two full minutes of PP instead of one long and exhausting shift followed by a mix of 3rd and 4th liners?

Lecavalier/Malone
Stamkos - Purcell
St. Louis - Kubina

That looks really good. This would allow a 2nd unit of:

Malone/Lecavalier
Gagne - Downie
Hedman/Ohlund - Kubina/Clark/Lundin

Five forward alternative:

Malone
Stamkos - Lecavalier
St. Louis - Purcell