Thread: Pre-Game Talk: 2011 NHL Entry Draft Discussion
View Single Post
Old
01-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
As has been said many times, all it takes is one team to have a player higher than the consensus — and in case of Jaskin, McNeill, Musil, St. Croix it's IMO going to be a lot higher than listed.

I'll say one thing, I don't want Canucks to be the team that drafts Boone Jenner or Colin Jacobs, two prospects that I can't stand and don't get how they're anywhere close to the first round. Jenner can't skate, period.

Also still confused how scouts can question Catenacci's size... there's plenty of NHL-level 3rd liners that are 5'10 and 190-200lbs, I don't see why his size is such a big deal... especially when you factor in his work ethic and skating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
If Im' the Canucks, I'm drafting speed and hockey IQ above all else among forwards, drafting a centre seems to be a must. HOw good is this Koklachev kid with Windsor? #s are very impressive for a kid who just turned 17.
The concerns for me are: a) consistency, b) sometimes work ethic, c) size and strength. And I think that that last point is a deal-breaker.

---

If you gave me the pick, I would pick a guy with size and skill... it's not often that you can get that combination in the 25 -30 range without significant downsides and we should be taking advantage of this. Nicklas Jensen, Mark McNeill, Dmitri Jaskin, Mika Zibanejad are all good players that might still be available (and don't have glaring weaknesses)... or not, hard to tell right now. The next group would be guys like Catenacci, Namestnikov, Khokhlachev, etc. As for defencemen, I think Klefbom might rise to the first round as the year goes on... Oleksiak is not a bad pick depending on who else is available (I would pick him over the Russians for example).

Last edited by Tiranis: 01-17-2011 at 10:53 PM.