Thread: Proposal: Atlanta-Canucks
View Single Post
Old
01-18-2011, 04:09 AM
Nedved1*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoWarrior View Post
An idea to clear the Canucks' salary issue + get a valuable asset going into the future + give the Thrashers a current slight-moderate upgrade on defense while adding a very good forward prospect who may be NHL-ready this season.

To Atlanta:

Ballard + Schroeder

To Vancouver:

Bogosian

Ballard is still a very good D-man, but he hasn't been great with the Canucks. He has been a victim of being a left-handed d-man, AV having a man-crush on Bieksa and then Bieksa really stepping up his play. He is a solid #2 PP pairing guy and is a very good PKer + shot-blocker. Schroeder is a very offensively gifted player who looks as if he'll develop into a Brian Gionta type player. He is the U.S.'s all-time leading point getter at the World Juniors. The Canucks may do this because it likely wouldn't seriously disrupt chemistry and Ballard may be willing to move to get a top 4 role.

Canucks lack a marquee Defenseman prospect (he's not really a prospect anymore, but he is prospect aged). The Thrashers are somewhat disappointed with him right now, and he doesn't look like an indispensable piece of the CURRENT team.

For the Canucks, this is to make room for Salo. Apparently, there is a way to make room without giving up any major pieces. See Winroba's post on a thread about moving Samuelsson (1st page). The Canucks have to do some waiving (Rome is the most major piece), plus some cap tinkering at the end of the season a la Flames and Devils in recent years (Salo on conditioning stint, small roster, Alberts at wing). I kind of prefer that, but management might not want to do that and risk tiring out the team before playoffs. This is an idea where the Canucks fill an organizational need of a blue-chip prospect d-man and he happens to be playing in the NHL already. Atlanta becomes a better team currently and getting Schroeder means that they're not mortgaging the future.
I am good with this. I take this trade.

Get er done Gillis

Nedved1* is offline   Reply With Quote