Thread: Confirmed with Link: Paul Holmgren earns 3-year contract extension
View Single Post
Old
01-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Jester - your right as always, so no need for me to point out how Detroit only got a 5th and we got back a roster player and so on. For everyone else, Homer is doing a great job and I'm glad he got the 3 year extension for his good work. OF course, the ultimate vindication may come this June.
Certainly true... except the justification to trade Upshall is that it would solve cap problems; it didn't. The same justification was in place with Detroit, and they made a deal that did solve their cap problems.

Note: when you are trying to clear cap space, you probably don't want a roster player back.

My problem with what you said is that it was slim on facts and presented to avoid the reality of the comparison between the two deals. If you want to defend Holmgren dealing Upshall, you at least have to mention the fact that he completely and utterly failed to clear the necessary cap room to solve the issue at the time, and THAT is why we had ATOs dressing for games at the end of the season. We could have kept Upshall and done that if we had wanted to.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote