Thread: Value of: Zach Parise + NJ 2011 1st
View Single Post
Old
01-18-2011, 09:12 PM
apice3*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
I love Parise, I would have his babies. But Pittsburgh would never do this. You're talking about a 24 year old who is averaging 97 points per year vs. a 26 year old who is averaging 66 points per year and coming back from knee surgery. There is just no way a draft pick, even a #1 overall can make up the difference (unless there's a Crosby/Ovechkin type talent available, in which case the Devils obviously would never make the trade)
If you take out his rookie year, Parise is averaging around 75 points per season. And his last two seasons have be 94 and 82, in a defensive system no less. The knee injury is a concern, but it wasn't a major surgery and he should come back with no problem.

For cap reasons, I wouldn't trade Parise straight up for Malkin, never mind the additional top 5 pick. I'll take the 80-95 points and Selke caliber defense for ~6 mil instead of 95-110 points and lazy defense for ~9 mil. Just a personal view though.

Edit: not saying Parise is better, but in terms of contract, his production to cap hit ratio is more valuable, IMO.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote