Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill IX
View Single Post
01-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Join Date: Apr 2003
5 problems with trading for Savard:
1. He has a NTC which he is unlikely to waive to come west
2. He is not young by NHL standards at 33 1/2 and this is his 2nd straight injury plagued year.
3. His contract runs for six more years AFTER this year. Even if you send him to the minors he is cash out the door. And per Capgeek, his AHL salary would be the same as his NHL salary for the duration of his contract. Not sure where the discount after 3 years applies.
4. Schenn or Loktionov are going to be knocking on the door for the #2 center spot as early as next year. Savard's presence blocks their development.
5. Trading a 22 year old like Simmonds for all of the above problems just adds insult to injury.
Otherwise, no problem.
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by tomd