View Single Post
Old
01-19-2011, 03:39 AM
matt trick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyankees47 View Post
Setoguchi's trade value is very low right now. A puck-moving, 20+ minute logging d-man that will contribute offensively is worth more. D-men in general are worth more than forwards. It's simple supply and demand. D-men in general, much less a two-way or offensive d-men of the top four variety, are hard to come by.

The only Sharks forwards of any trade value right now are Couture, Pavelski, and Clowe (Heatley, Thornton, and Marleau are untradeable cap-wise).

No team is going to want to give up a puck-moving, 20+ minute offensive d-man.....if you're not willing to part with one of those three forwards.
We've already had a Columbus fan propose Tyutin+ for our 1st+ (and I assume he meant McGinn, or a non-Coyle prospect).

Wisniewski went for a 3rd.
B. Stuart for a 2nd and 4th.
D. Seidenberg for a 2nd.
Corvo for salary dump, 2nd, B prospect
NHL player Derek Morris for a conditional pick (2nd or 3rd- can't remember)
Grebenshekov for a 2nd round pick
Leopold for a 2nd
Sutton for a 2nd
Wallin for a 2nd
Montador for Nokelinan

D-men get traded for non-roster assets all the time. Even if the Sharks pull the top 6 and Setoguchi off the table, Charlie Coyle, Nick Petrecki, Taylor Doherty, Brandon Mashinter, Marek Viedensky, Justin Braun our 1st, 2nd, 3rd in each of the next two drafts, Torrey Mitchell, Benn Ferrerio, Jamie McGinn, and several others would draw varying degrees of interest. If Kaberle is going to be moved- Toronto likely considers Mashinter/Doherty+1st+2nd. If someone like Leopold is moved, a 2nd+Viedensky could get it done. Tyutin? 1st+McGinn. It's all a matter of who is on the block and the team needs. If a team is rebuilding we'll have assets that interest, because its not like a re-building team is going to get a blue-chipper for their #3 d-man.

I'd inquire about Wideman, Polak, Jackman, Tyutin, Pitkanen, Brewer Russel, Klesla, Hejda, Kaberle, Beauchmein (though I wouldn't offer a 1st, and he is far from my favorite choice), Leopold, Liles, Montador, White, Wisniewski, Bieska Gilbert, Martinek, Green, Gunnarsson, Butler, and Sekera. Only a select few of those guys may be available, but even fewer should garner a 1st (Tyutin, Pitkaken, Russel, Kaberle- though I'd be against all but the Columbus duo).

In the offseason, Brewer, Jovo, McCabe, Kaberle, Markov, and Wisniewski become more possible with 6.2 million coming off in the form of Niemi, Huskins, and Wallin, and only Setoguchi (500k max) and Demers (750k) getting raises, while Thornton takes a meager pay cut.

Meanwhile, I'd keep close taps on Seabrook, Weber, Suter, Burns, and the rest of the elite young d-men. If an opportunity comes up great, but don't plan on it.

matt trick is offline   Reply With Quote