View Single Post
Old
01-19-2011, 03:47 AM
finchster

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by yunost View Post
Alot of what you people say is true but you should realize that not all players born in Kiev are Ukrainians. You should know that after the break up of the Soviet Union there were alot of Russians in other states left and vice-versa. I personally know someone in that situation.

Many of these 'Ukrainians' consider themselves Russians and are proud to play for team Russia.
Furthermore, many of these people live in Russia from a very young age, and finished the entire youth school of a Russian hockey club. Why would such a person all of the sudden go to play in/for Ukraine.

I dont want to start an argument, as legitimately there also are Ukranians who leave purely for career purposes. I dont think this is a vast majority and strongly disagree with the way you negatively talk about 'poaching' and such.
Players will still defect however, take the example of Kazakhstan; Nabokov switched to Russia because he is an ethnic Russian (he did however have a difficult time switching). Then you have Nik Antropov, an ethnic Russian who plays for Kazakhstan. He developed at Torpedo Ust-Kamenogorsk and still plays for their national team. Plenty of ethnic Russians play for Kazakhstan and some that don’t. If you look at some of the bigger name players that don’t; Perezhogin, Vorobiev, and Khudobin, they all developed and played youth hockey in Russia.

The point is Ukraine has about a 0% chance to keep any elite players be it ethnic Russians or Ukrainians without a professional set up, professional opportunities and elite youth development. If you can develop elite players in your own nation 90% of the time they will play for that nation.

EDIT: I just noticed the Sokol Kiev site is dead/down hockey really is in trouble haha

EDIT2: Quick question, has there ever been a professional player playing at a high level from West Ukraine? I can't think of one off the top of my head

Last edited by finchster: 01-19-2011 at 05:02 AM.
finchster is offline   Reply With Quote