Old
01-19-2011, 06:40 AM
billycanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonway View Post
Looks like the league is looking to expand

from the Cape Cod Times HERE

"Kirnan said the league plans to expand in the near future, noting that a team is likely headed for Vermont beginning next season, as well as three other destinations to be announced shortly."
Vermont is an interesting choice. No doubt it is a hockey state, loved living in Vermont and will probably end up living there again someday, but a minor pro team there? The league played an exhibition game at the Green Mountain Arena in Morrisville, but that rink can only hold 300 max.

Burlington is a nice sized city, but with the University of Vermont, Saint Michael's College, and the Green Mountain Glades (EJHL) I can't see them surviving trying to compete for fans with them. Rink choices here would be Leddy Park (Glades home ice, capacity around 1,000 - 1,100) or Essex Skating Facility (capacity around 1,200).

Barre would be another choice, but again the rink is too small. There is also a pro-basketball team there so they would compete for some fans.

Next choices would be the rinks at Norwich and Middlebury, but those are small college towns and fans flock to those teams with support that some NCAA division 1 teams dream of having.

That leaves the option of having a travelling pro team. Playing in different cities but calling Vermont 'home'.

Will be interesting to see where the FHL wants to expand.

I like this quote in the article:
Quote:
Kirnan said. "We try to stay away from being right next to an NHL or AHL team, and if there's a major college team we don't want to be on top of that either. A great situation for us is 30-60 miles from a major team, and Cape Cod fits that perfectly."
Hmmm, I wonder if he meant to say "We are NOW trying to stay away from being right next to an NHL or AHL team..." Barons first location, not the brightest idea.