Thread: Proposal: Boston-Calgary
View Single Post
Old
01-19-2011, 11:12 AM
blankall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
The Toronto 1st won't be in play. It just doesn't happen. We heard the same stories last year as to why Boston would be trading that Tor 1st for a run at the cup now, but those theories don't take into consideration the impact a top 5 pick has to an organization.

What is more likely to happen is Boston makes the Toronto pick come draft day, and deals their own to strengthen their current roster much like they did last off-season.

Also, in regards to Iginla, yes, he's a great player. He's also 33 going on 34. First, he doesn't guarantee Boston a cup. Second, there are very few players that don't have a significant drop off at Iginla's age. The players you mention above were both in their primes when they were dealt, so yes this is a different situation on multiple fronts.

Now don't get me wrong, I think Iginla if Calgary does decide to trade him will take in a fair haul. I don't think there will be many teams willing to go higher then a young potential #1 center (already capable), and a mid first round pick. Remember, this entire scenario is based on the premise that Calgary wants to trade him in he first place. If Boston added another prospect with top line, #1 C potential, I don't think there is another team in the league that would touch it value wise.

Boston has no reason to add the Toronto 1st unless Calgary doesn't actually want to trade Iggy and they're trying to convince them to do so, and I doubt they do that.
No player guarnatees Boston a cup.

Since Toronto is not getting a player like Crosby, Iginla is probably the best option available to them. Iginla becomes your highest scoring forward. At some point Boston needs to decide this is the year to go for it. Do they do that now while Savard and Chara are still playing well, or do they plan for the future and hold off another 4-5 years. Who knows maybe they get lucky in the next few years without Iginla, or maybe they just need to go for it now.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote