Old
01-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
No, I'm implying that I automatically assume that people don't know how well JVR is playing unless they watch the Flyers play. It has nothing to do with who you think is better.

If you're willing to prove me wrong, I'd be all ears as to how good you think JVR is right now. I'd be willing to bet that you are off the mark. It's nothing personal against you, but people are so quick to look at JVR's production while ignoring 1) his on-ice play, 2) his confidence right now, 3) his lack of ice-time, 4) his lack of powerplay time, 5) his two-way play, 6) his physical play, and 7) the fact that the Flyers are so deep that offensive players' numbers are naturally deflated (see: Richards, Carter, Briere, Giroux who will not hit PPG this season/may not even hit 70 because they have to share so much ice time).
No need to get defensive; no one in this thread is ripping on JVR, and I haven't seen any mistreatment of him in any other forum for that matter. He's a young player on a very stacked team who will only continue to get better.

I don't think anyone's holding any of those stats against him, least of all his confidence (which neither you, nor I, nor anyone else on this board can possibly measure). I'm not going to pretend I watch every Flyers game and that I know JVR like the back of my hand, so no I can't diagnose every aspect of his game.

There are few top-6's in the league that could go head to head with the Stars, but Philly's definitely one of them. I can't say whether JVR gets regular top-6 minutes on a stacked Philly offense. But I can say without a doubt that Neal's already a top-line forward in Dallas, has shown remarkable chemistry with Brad Richards, and thus further strengthens my original point that Neal > JVR right now.

Again, no one here is saying JVR isn't or won't be a skilled NHLer. If Dallas wasn't already so deep at LW, I'd love to see him in a Stars jersey. But regardless of what you could come up with in JVR's defense, Neal has been superior this season.