View Single Post
Old
01-20-2011, 02:17 AM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
The Kings are going to wind up making so many changes in the offseason you have to wonder if they will make any deals. If they keep losing like this, they could become sellers looking to get value for guys who are going to be departing anyway and/or dumping salaries for picks/UFAs-to-be to gain further flexibility.

This is not the roster they are going to have going forward. With all due respect to all the guys on this team, they have some guys that are flat out overpaid, probably because the Kings were in the position all bad teams were where they had to overpay to bring in free agents like Handzus and Scuderi. Scuderi has been very solid but 'Zus is an FA to be. Williams is an FA to be. Greener has been a warrior but his salary is a little hefty, maybe the same for Stoll. Ponikarovski is both overpaid and a UFA to be. Sturm will not be there next year either.

They have Johnson with a manageable cap hit, Brown, Scuds and Kopitar are in the fold, I'd expect Doughty and Simmonds back, Clifford is on an ELC, Mitchell will play out his deal and Smyth will probably do the same. Other than that, it's all up in the air.

I know it's tempting to make a move. First it was to solidify a contender, now it would be to salvage a season. I think they could have gone in and done something bigger than Sturm--we've already seen Langenbrunner and Wolski change hands since, plus Calgary has fallen back hard--but that is already a done deal. What I see now is a strong push to get it together with essentially this same group and then big changes either beginning at the deadline or July 1.