Old
01-20-2011, 07:48 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
I just got a headache skimming through a discussion on facebook about the new Sony big screen at CBP. Tons of people are commenting on how that 10 million should have been spent on Werth, a better #5 starter or keeping ticket prices lower. Man, people are freakin retarded on FB.
I imagine some of that 10 million might be diffused in increased ad prices they can charge for bigger real estate , but seriously, I'd have loved to spend some of that on another bullpen piece and buy a Visio instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That's poor asset management though. Getting a guy who maybe will be as good as Joe Blanton a few years from now is not as valuable as Joe Blanton now. Sure he is making WAY too much money to be a 5th starter, but like I said, if the Phills can afford him, who cares. He's probably the best 5th starter in the league. Having another Kyle Kendrick (assuming the return would be somewhere around that level) would not benefit this team now or in three years.
The problem isn't necessarily whether not we can afford Joe Blanton or whether what we'd get in return has the same value, but that the money could be better spent on upgrades at the deadline. If we don't have that payroll flexibility, we might be stuck with a bad bullpen situation, who knows. But if we do have that flexibility and can go after a rental piece, then trading Blanton away is worth it.