View Single Post
Old
10-09-2003, 11:46 AM
habsfansam

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab at it
As to who may not be in the long term plans for the team here's my list:

Ribs: He has the talent but we cannot have a 1-2 punch of Koivu and Ribs it is giving us too small of centers.

Plekanec: Same reason as Ribs.
Miroy: With Kastsitsyn, Zednik, Ward and Ryder all being RW'ers young and proving that they are hungry to make the NHL I think that opens up Milroy to being used in a trade package.

Balej: See Milroy, also Balej is projected to be a top 2 liner and if AK-47 turns out to be as good as talked about and Zed being a shoe-in then that leaves no place left for Balej.
Question: isn't plekanec almost 200 pounds? When i see ribiero on the ice he looks small (unfortunately same with Koivu), but plekanec doens't look small at all... it'd be my bet that he's durable and can fill a role on a non-scoring line if needbe. Rumor has it that he's a team-first kind of player.

As for Balej and Milroy having no place to play, i think that both can learn to play wherever they are needed... both guys seem bright and while they are offensive-minded, wasn't Carbo a purely offensive younger player who had to learn to play D to make his team, and look what he became.

If we're thinking long term, it is definitely the 3rd and 4th lines that make championship teams in this league... if my 3rd and 4th liners are better than yours then i'm more likely to get an extra goal or two from my checkers and come out on top (all things being equal for the 1st lines... obviously colorado will rip through just about everyone with their talent this year, but that's an anomaly in the NHL). Given two or three years in the minors to develop a 2way game under Jarvis, i think the non-elite offensive players will make the habs MUCH better by fulfilling tight checking roles. Look at guys like McCarty, Draper, and Maltby who can score, and play the tight checking game... The key is to have defined roles for those players to fill when you do bring them up.

With a deep prospect pool,you just tell the players that they can make the club, but only in a checking role... how many guys riding the buses would pass on the NHL because they think a checking line role is beneath them? I think the surplus is a good thing...

BTW i do agree with most of your cuts, though i'd like to see juneau teaching the game down on the farm...