Thread: Proposal: Tor-NYI
View Single Post
Old
01-21-2011, 11:44 AM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
I'm not sure I buy this. If the guy's a top shutdown guy, he'll play like such in any system.

Take guys like Regehr or Phillips. They both have maintained their "shutdown" ability, regardless of who the coach has been, and regardless of whether the team played defensively or a more wide-open offensive system.

I just think Komisarek is a flawed player when he's not paired with someone who can cover for his mistakes. He needed Markov in Montreal to make him look good. What other shutdown defenseman needs to be paired with an all-star caliber defenseman just to look competent?
Absolutely not. If a team is going to play a well supported conservative game, then those type of defencemen will succeed. When you take a 1-dimensional defenceman like Komisarek, and put him on a team who relies heavily on a rush offence, he's not going to succeed.

With Phillips, we're talking about a different type of defenceman. He's not a pure shutdown guy, more of a 2-way player like Beauchemin. Volchenkov is the comparison for Komisarek, and the Sens played the shutdown game with that pair on the ice.

All 1-dimensional shut down guys need to either be paired with a star puckmover (to play the top pair two-way role), or have their team support the puck well (to play a top shutdown role) in order to succeed. It just so happens that very few teams support the puck as poorly as Toronto does, and of course Schenn came in and excelled with Kaberle.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote