View Single Post
Old
01-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfried View Post
Absolutely not. If a team is going to play a well supported conservative game, then those type of defencemen will succeed. When you take a 1-dimensional defenceman like Komisarek, and put him on a team who relies heavily on a rush offence, he's not going to succeed.

With Phillips, we're talking about a different type of defenceman. He's not a pure shutdown guy, more of a 2-way player like Beauchemin. Volchenkov is the comparison for Komisarek, and the Sens played the shutdown game with that pair on the ice.

All 1-dimensional shut down guys need to either be paired with a star puckmover (to play the top pair two-way role), or have their team support the puck well (to play a top shutdown role) in order to succeed. It just so happens that very few teams support the puck as poorly as Toronto does, and of course Schenn came in and excelled with Kaberle.
Again, I'm not sure I buy that reasoning, not completely.

I can understand it causing Komisarek issues if he's forced to do things he's not capable of (ie. carry the puck up ice, pinch all the time at the offensive blueline, make quick outlet passes). Giveaways or mistakes caused in those instances, I can maybe buy as being the fault of the system not suiting his style.

But his overall play in his own zone? A shutdown guy should be able to at least look very capable of ... well, shutting down the opposition when the puck is in his own zone. Komisarek makes just as many mistakes in the defensive zone as he does in the transition game, neutral zone, or offensive zone.

Take Michalek from the Pens, for instance. The Pens play an uptempo game, too. They activate their defense all the time and expect them to take part in the offensive rush. But he's looked fantastic for the Pens in a shutdown role, even though his actual puck skills are limited and an offensive game doesn't suit him.

Michalek was great for Phoenix last year, who played a much more defensive oriented, conservative style than the Pens do. But he's just as great for Pittsburgh this season, despite the more offensively geared system he's now in.

If it as you say, and defensive-minded defensemen run into issues if they're in a more offensively-geared system, shouldn't Michalek also be looking like trash? He's paired with Paul Martin right now, by the way. Martin's mobile, sure, but he's not exactly an elite puck mover. So it's not like Michalek has the benefit of Drew Doughty or Duncan Keith beside him.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote