View Single Post
Old
01-21-2011, 12:42 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
I think at this point we can do some further assessment.

Even knowing what we know now I still think the Hannan/Flash trade was a winner. Flash at the very least was a major contributor to come crucial wins during his short stint, and honestly I think it'd be a mistake not to retain him this offseason.

However, I think it's safe to say Sherman & Co. miscalculated the impact of losing Hannan would have on the defense and PK. We were still a crappy defensive team WITH Hannan here, yes, but things have gotten that much worse with him gone, and unfortunately management overestimated the ability of guys like Wilson and Foote to make up for Hannan's absence, and of course Hannan's "replacement," Matt Hunwick, hasn't made us forget.

I guess it's fair to ask if Flash's presence has won more games than Hannan's absence has lost.

As for the Hunwick deal, I can no longer defend it. It was a noble try, but this trade was a complete and utter FAIL. Not advocating we go out and get another d-man now, but it's a shame he's turned out to be such a complete and utter waste of time. Hopefully Colby Cohen never makes it as an impact defender so the trade ends up being a wash (I do hope the Avs either trade him or just don't tender a qualifying offer after the season).