View Single Post
Old
01-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Definitely agree with the "you have more time than you think" comment. Note that this does NOT apply when you are trying to go coast-to-coast stickhandling through all five of the opposition, but when you get the puck on a pass. Beginners often toss it away like it's a hot potato and it results in turnovers. Instead, hold on to it for a second, pick your head up, SKATE WITH THE PUCK, and then try and make a pass or a move.

The "stick on the ice" comment reminds me of something I really hate, and that's teammates screaming "two hands on the stick" from the bench. It's really annoying when the 2-3 worst stickhandlers pretend like they know what they're talking about. There's many good reasons for having only one hand on the stick: poke checks, cutting off passing lanes, pulling the puck around someone, reaching for a loose puck, skating up ice full speed, etc.

My contribution: make your move earlier than you think. If you wait until the absolute last second to try your deke on a defender or goalie, you can get picked or shut down. You usually want to make the move a little earlier so that you have a bit of time and space to react to their reaction.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote