View Single Post
Old
01-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Rob Zepp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
When was the last time 2 time richard winner
Those two awards were 2002 and 2004.....9 and 7 years ago, respectively. Great accomplishments but both pre-lockout and both long enough ago to not be relevant to current performance criteria (e.g. current value to a new team)

Quote:
future hall of famer
and so is Brodeur but doubt many lining up to grab him right now either. Same with Forsberg....he is also future HHOF. Doesn't mean that "TODAY" they are as good as in their prime.

Quote:
and one of the leagues best leaders
I am one of the biggest supporters of him who isn't a blatant Flames fan but what exactly has he led his team to....particularly since the lockout? Past few seasons have been completely downhill for his team so not sure how his leadership has been demonstrated.....

Quote:
players like Iginla almost never become available for trade with 2 full years left on their contract
and at $7 million a year for a 30ish goal scorer who is quite a number of years removed from those heady days.....how is that a bargain?

Look, he is a tremendous and classy player but his best years are not in front of him, they are in the rearview. His cap hit is huge and there is no current contending team that has that kind of space to throw around readily nor are they going to put in a lottery pick (Boston) for the "honour" of having to have one of the most expensive 30 goal scorers in the NHL.

I know Calgary fans want gross overpayment for their older players but the likelihood of that happening simply isn't all that high. Look at that four to six teams that have legitimate cup potential this year and see how many of them can make a trade for him that make sense for them......it is tough.

Boston giving up a potential lottery pick for some package is possible but I seriously doubt that Iginla would be their target in such deliberations.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote