Thread: Value of: David Clarkson to Montreal
View Single Post
Old
01-21-2011, 06:06 PM
apice3*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
I have to disagree with you here, and not because I'm trying to over-value Weber or under-value your prospects.

Weber is a good puck moving defenseman who can quarterback the PP while not hurting you in his own zone. He was playing behind PK Subban two years ago in the AHL but this year, he was having an outstanding season in Hamilton before being called up, both offensively and defensively. He's still young and has plenty of room to continue developing.

If the Habs didn't have this desperate need (in my opinion of course) to get tougher, NEVER would I even consider trading him for a player like Clarkson but as I've mentioned earlier in this thread, the fact that Clarkson isn't a UFA at the end of the year combined with the lack of toughness in Montreal (added to the PK Subban development) makes that I'd be willing to consider sacrificing (and that's what it would be) Weber to address a need in the Habs' line-up.

EDIT: Even this very site (Hockey's Future) ranks Weber as a 7.0B, which would make him the Devils best prospect on defense, equal to Matt Corrente.
Matt Corrente isn't our best defensive prospect, IMO. Urbom, Gelinas, and Merrill all have more upside, but Corrente is the closest to an NHL regular. All have are 7.5C's according to HF. We don't really need PMD prospects as much as most people, Devils fans included, like to point out. As bad as our lack of PMD is, we have plenty in the works. The only way we would really want to take a PMD prospect is if they're can't miss blue chip guy.

If we were to trade a player for picks and prospects, we would need center prospects first and foremost. After that, goalie, stay-at-home defenseman, and then wingers would be the order of our priorities, IMO.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote