View Single Post
Old
01-21-2011, 10:07 PM
clefty
What?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9
Hes made his money. He knows he wouldnt get a big contract coming back to the nhl which is why he left for the khl to begin with. Hed leave avangard for his ego and pad his stats/fame which would all be accomplished in pittsburgh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyPierroZabotel17 View Post
“I was thinking about it and if Mario would call me and say, ‘I’d like you to play for our team,’ I would think about it a lot,” Jagr said in a telephone interview from Moscow where the Kontinental League will hold its inaugural All-Star Game outdoors at Red Square Saturday. “I would play for the minimum salary. I would play for $350,000 just for him because I owe him my hockey life. I want to pay him back because he has made me what I am... besides my parents.”

i would still like to take him up on that offer. sign him to a one year deal. he'll either be spectacular with Sid and Geno or he'll be old and useless. and in that case, just waive him.
I'm sorry, but you're both misjudging/misremembering Jagr seriously here. This is a guy who once said; "I don't need any more rings. I just need beaches, money, and girls." He's made his money? Says who? Certainly not Jagr who's been perfectly happy to put pen to paper on more than one lucrative contract with Avangard Omsk.

And in the second instance, come on. The connection between Jagr's brain and Jagr's mouth is spotty at the best of times. And you also left out a critical part of the oft-cited quote:

"But he doesn't need me. He has good players there."

He's so often got that little qualifying statement in what he says that gives him the option of having his cake and eating it too.

If he wanted to be in the NHL, in Pittsburgh making a comparative pittance, thats what he'd be doing. In Avangard, there are conflicting reports, but from what I gather he's making something in the vicinity of 8-12 million annually, he's one of the higher-paid, marquee players both on his team and in the league. He's in the spotlight. And as anyone who followed Jagr for more than half an hour during his NHL days will tell you, thats just the way he likes it.

And good for him. He can earn every last cent he wants to for all I care, good luck to any athlete who even at Jagr's age can command that much money.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote