View Single Post
Old
01-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I'd consider giving up Gunnarsson for Clarkson, Clarkson may be a bit overpaid but I do like what he brings in terms of physical play, a 3rd line of Versteeg/Clarkson/Armstrong would be pretty awesome.

As for Gunnarsson vs. the Weber offer, both were drafted in 2007, both are currently on a real cheap deals, and both become RFAs at the end of this season. Gunnar is 6'2", a good skater, fairly solid defensively, and pretty good with the puck. He's getting bottom pairing minutes in Toronto, but a big part of that is that we have a pretty locked in top 4 of Kaberle, Schenn, Phaneuf and Beauchemin, not to mention guys like Komisarek and Aulie (and Lebda, ugh) battling with Gunnar for bottom pairing minutes. Even still, he's put up a respectable 6 goals, 22 points in his 78 career NHL games so far (with 3rd pairing ES minutes, plenty of PK time and virtually no PP time). Compare this to the 0 goals, 5 points in 26 NHL games put up by the 5'10" Yannick Weber and I think Gunnarsson is the more valuable young dman, I definitely see him as a guy with 2nd pairing potential, someone who can be solid with and without the puck.
Gunnarsson isn't a Habs' prospect though. The topic is the value of Clarkson to Montreal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianeh View Post
Habs would (hopefully) have no interest in Clarkson. He's a 4th liner making top 6 money.

With the guys they have to sign after this year, giving him 3 mill a year for the next 2 would be a huge mistake.
Really? We're not seeing the same guy here. As a matter of fact, some see Clarkson as a "core player" even.

In my humble opinion, Clarkson is a solid third line player who can fill in on the second line from time to time. He's very much in the mold of Chris Neil in Ottawa.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote