View Single Post
Old
07-06-2005, 01:16 PM
Scoogs

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens#1
I find it funny how Leaf fans, or any other big market fans, cry now. They all hate Bettman. How come most other teams got their payrolls all in check knowing that there would be a drastic change to the landscape, yet the Leafs just kept on spending? Well now they better deal with it. That's what you get for paying old players big money.

They didn't have to build from within because they could always buy free agents. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a lot of payroll needed to be shed before the lockout, but that braniac JFJ continued to dish out idiotic contracts. Just look at Ed Belfours for instance (even though he was great).

Maybe management took a gamble and thought that everything would be grandfathered? I think everyone can agree that financially Bettman has improved the game. Triple the revenue from when he started?

Thank You Bettman. We are now going to have a more balanced league
They did this because they wanted to hold on to such players as Belfour, because if we let him go we had to backup. And we expected the time off to maybe be overall a good thing.

You guys, in a almost similar way did the same in Hasek. Not to the extent of the amount of money you spent, but just an aged goalie, where you had no solid #1 anymore.

I'm guessing he wouldnt take anything short term.. I actually remember hearing rumors during that dreadful offseason that Belfour was demanding a long term contract, something the Leafs were not willing to offer.