Thread: Proposal: Ottawa Cleaning House:
View Single Post
Old
01-22-2011, 08:52 AM
wilfred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound117 View Post
Not bad but I disagree with a couple of your options and I guess it depends if your are completely abandoning the season detonating and waiting for the draft or if your want to put parts into place now and then start next season a a good clip as opposed to a dead stop with another year of growth and low productivity to look forward to.

But let me throw an option or three around if I may:

To WSH: Chris Kelly, Matt Carkner, Brian Elliott, Milan Michalek
To OTT: Matthieu Perrault, Jeff Shultz, Michal Neuvirth, 2nd

Gives Washington 2-3 line center, more defensive physicality, playoff experienced goaltending (cheaper than many of Washington's other options). Gives Ottawa a youth movement w/ stable goaltending.

I am not a UFA/RFA expert by any means and my knowledge is limited to NSH, WAS, and OTT rosters. I am aware Ottawa is hampered in their options by Kuba's contract and their efforts to move Ruutu as well as the so far unproductive Gonchar signing. And I am not a cap hit expert so I am unaware if this would even be possible. However this would buy Ottawa more time agewise to rebuild without leaving next season to the wolves and would provide Washington a valid 2-3rd line winger and PK center who both can provide offensive upticks which the Caps need right now. Despite Caps fan's arguments to the contrary I value Carkner higher than King on the goon meter especially since Carkner could play game in game out for us without sacraficing a forward position. This does hurt Ottawa on the offensive side but an aggressive salary dump could possible make room for UFAs like Justin Williams etc.
It's not a bad proposal, but I'm not sure Ottawa is ready to give up on Michalek. How about

To Was
Matt Carkner
Brian Elliott
Mike Fisher

To OTT
Marcus Johansson
Jeff Shultz
Michal Neuvirth

Similar deal to the last one, but you get a huge upgrade with Fisher over Kelly. Not sure if Ott adds, but that is what I came up with

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote