View Single Post
Old
01-23-2011, 02:02 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
You kind of missed my point. I'm not downplaying Petry, and I don't think that was me in the Petry thread.

Chorney was:
-1 in 3-2 loss to Dallas
-1 in 4-1 loss to Minnesota (almost played 21 minutes)
-2 in 4-2 loss to Dallas (clearly a bad game for him)

You don't even need stats, if you watch those games, you would have seen he played well. He had one bad game, and you're condemning him to toil away in the AHL for the rest of his career.

Bringing up pre-developmental numbers is just a pointless argument.

Dubnyk started 0-11. ECHL goalie.
Horcoff was -29. Worst two-way player on this team.
Reddox was -2 in 9 games last year. 4th line AHLer.

It's almost unbelievable how easily some people give up on a decent organizational asset.

edit: Oh yeah, that was me bringing up +/- in the Petry thread. Everyone was saying how awesome he was playing, yet in the 4-2 loss to Buffalo he was on the ice for all 4 goals against. Petry is obviously a much better talent than Chorney, but both of them are going to make mistakes.

The point of my earlier post was to show how little +/- and "minus games" are indicative of quality of play. Obviously it was a bit confusing and not well thought out, but I think you get the picture.
From what I recall he wasn't that bad in the first 2 games but was brutal in his third game. The fact remains that he needs to learn a lot and improve on his game if he is going to be part of the mix here. That said if we can move Foster, Vandermeer, or Strudwick at the deadline maybe he gets another shot? IIRC he'll be waiver eligible next year so if we can't use him and another team covets him he'll be in the NHL.