View Single Post
Old
01-23-2011, 11:11 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
The first Oilers goal was actually more of a bad read by O'Brien than directly Franson's fault. Franson tried to pinch, Reddox made a great chip to get around him, and O'Brien left HIS man(Cogliano, the eventual goal scorer) wide open to go fishing for the puck--a very low percentage, stupid way to make that play. He effectively took himself out of position in such a way that he was covering neither man, nor the passing lane. His best bet would have been to stay on Cogliano to take away HIS shot and the pass, and let Rinne take his chances with Reddox from a tougher angle.

The second Oilers goal -- Peks went down uncharacteristically early. Hall is a goal scorer, and had the entire top half of the net to shoot at. Not gonna miss that one.

I really scratch my head as to the choice to play Belak over Halischuk. I know that my disdain for playing Belak period is well publicized around here, but it's doubly puzzling when we've finally found a fourth line that works and has been dangerous game in and game out since getting put together. Halischuk's reward for his first goal with the Preds? A trip to the press box. Speaking of that line...hopefully Dumont was held out for precautionary reasons. It'd be a shame for him to miss time after finally looking like he was finding his rhythm (game tonight with Belak linemate not withstanding).

I said after the Florida game that we tried to take the night off and got burned, and when it was 1-1 going into the third, I really felt we were headed for the same result. Even when it got to the shootout, I felt we had tempted fate far too much--leave it to Peks to prove me wrong. I also LOVED that Trotz finally took a chance on Franson. I've seen him in practice enough to know that he's actually pretty good in shootouts, and Erat has had a bad stretch in that department.

All in all, always sucks to give away a point, but at least it was to a team that we're not really trying to pace. Back at it tomorrow night!

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote