View Single Post
Old
01-25-2011, 11:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I didn't say you can't have an impact defensively, I said you can't really work on things that would specifically make you a better defensive player. You'll improve defensively as your overall abilities improve (skating, puck handling, decision-making, passing, etc). Most beginners aren't going to have a coach and lots of ice time to run defensive drills...you just have to keep playing as much as possible.

IMO, defense is about 90% mental. You can be very strong defensively without having skills above and beyond your level. It's all about reading plays and getting to good position. I'm not much better than most guys at my level but only get beat once or twice a year in my end playing wing. Why? I cover my man at the point and take him out of the play completely, read the passes and puck movement in our end, and as the puck gets passed up for the breakout, I'm either in good position to receive it and chip/carry it out or support the puck carrier on the breakout. And none of that really has to do with skating, strength, puck handling, etc. It's just reading the situation and reacting.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote