View Single Post
Old
01-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Terence Peterman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Lincoln was actually pretty awesome. He did do some sketchy things though.
To be as forward as possible, I can't remember most of why -- I read a book freshman year of college (two years ago) and so much, in school and out, has transpired since then that I'd need to re-read it to really be able to speak on it.

I'm also aware that one book isn't the whole story. You guys could probably tell me why I don't like him better than I could now, because it's been a while since I've had a legitimate history class (I'm and English major w/ a PoliSci minor...history and PS pretty much blended together in my high school, but the difference is obviously drastic at the next level).

One thing I can speak to is this idea to "save the union." I understand what you guys are saying about the "lost cause" being a lost cause itself when looked at objectively, but the union was always supposed to be voluntary. I feel that it took the bloodiest war in history at that point to "save" it speaks volumes. I also don't care for the direction we took afterward (Reconstruction) and feel most of our problems today in regard to the usurping of power from citizens can be traced back to then because of the measures Lincoln took. I feel there's going to be an inevitable comparison to measures FDR took, but I've always felt them more legitimate or, at worst, (and I know this is difficult to tangibly measure) with better intent.