Thread: Proposal: filatov - voynov
View Single Post
Old
01-25-2011, 08:23 PM
Andrew Knoll
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
I am almost astonished at the responses in here. Some people are severely underselling Filatov here. Voynov is a decent two-way defenseman, in terms of his effectiveness I would lump him with someone like Trevor Daley. What does he really project at the top level? 25-35 points, second-unit power-play duty and responsible play. His ceiling, OK, maybe bump it to 40 points, he will get that in the A this year.

Filatov is still an elite forward prospect. He was a top player at the WJC in 2009, he had a very good season in Russia last year on loan and he is hardly the first guy we have seen in Columbus have a hard time putting it together. With Hitchcock, he had no chance, with the new regime I think it's too early to say. But no matter what is going on in Buckeye country, this dude is fast with good puck skills and all-around natural goal-scoring ability.

He has also gotten stronger and more fit. He still has to make some progress there and defensively he is suspect, so that is sort of a question mark vis-a-vis the Kings' system. But if you're willing to throw a ton of money at Semin, I don't think you can have strong reservations about that.

Is the guy lighting it up? No. How is he? Twenty years old! He was not going to be an Ovechkin type, I figured his ETA as a big contributor would be about 23. If the Kings turn down Voynov for him, they would be foolish if you ask me.