View Single Post
Old
01-25-2011, 11:29 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
grachev and kolarik come back up and should probably stay until the trio of dubinsky, fedotenko and prospal all return hopefully at 100%.

dubinsky will replace grachev, fedotenko replaces kolarik but since he is not as important to the future as grachev, torts keeps him around as a spare 13th/14th guy and then finally gets sent to the whale once prospal takes avery's spot as a starter.
I disagree, there is no point in keeping Grachev as a spare forward. It is bad for his development. I think he either cracks the lineup or he gets send down, it's really what's best for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Really? I have no interest in seeing Newbury at all. Completely replaceable player.

Agreed. But, I also agree with the move to send him down. My assessment of him in his two games is this:

He looked really good against Washington - in fact, I thought he was one of the six best forwards playing in his limited ice time. And I think that Torts obviously saw it as well, since he got moved up in the second period. Tonight he was more tentative, but when he was shifted up to play with Stepan and Wolski in the third, they had a great scoring chance and he drew a penalty. Not nearly enough to keep him up in the pros, but again a sign of what'll be there eventually.

Seems like we're seeing the natural ups and downs of a player on his way to becoming a full time NHLer. (And I personally still think one with a chance to be a 30+ goal scorer.) Next time he comes up (or perhaps the one after that), we need to see a couple of games like the Washington game strung together, then he'll start to get time with more talented players, start scoring and eventually stick. In the meantime, he needs to go back down to CT, resume his good play and force the organization to make that next call-up sooner rather than later.
I agree with your assessment. Unfortunately I don't believe there is a spot on the team for him once we get healthy (if we ever do), but I definitely do like that he is starting to use his size more and he showed flashes of creativity. I am very interested to see how he plays once he matures some more. I don't think we should give up on him yet, I still see good potential.