View Single Post
Old
01-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Bob was signed well in advance of July 1st.

O'Donnell sure... Zherdev is negligible, and that is why he has been a healthy scratch and the team has shown no interest re-signing him. He's scored some goals... that's nice.

Shelley... whatever. Not even getting into the fallacy of goons in the modern NHL.
My reasoning for including Bob in the discussion even though you limited it to "around July 1st" is stated in my above post. Signing Bob was probably the best thing Holmgren did regarding free-agency or otherwise, so excluding it on account of the timeline seems unfair.

O'Donnell has been outperforming his contract by a large margin. That is a pretty big deal. Mezsaros is is playing up to his contract and looking like a pretty decent trade.

I would argue that Zherdev and his 15 goals are somewhat important. Powe and Nodl (who's strengths as players are admittedly elsewhere) are certainly not producing that much with his minutes. Who else would we have used to fill out the top 9? The team has shown zero interest in resigning him because the salary cap forces them to choose somebody to not have back, not because his impact is negligible.

Shelley is Shelley, no argument here. I like him well enough I guess, but I don't think one person on the board really likes that contract, including myself.

It's also worth noting that we don't even know what the end contributions from these guys is going to be. Some of them might have terrible or brilliant second halfs, same can be said for their playoffs. I still think Homer could've done better with regards to the Gagne deal and the Leighton signing, but I have to say his bad moves haven't been as harmful as I thought they might.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote