View Single Post
Old
01-27-2011, 04:54 PM
seanlinden

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
This would mean a lot more if we weren't talking about a 30 year old soon to be UFA player playing on a bottom 5 team. When a team needs as many changes as the Leafs do, stubborngly holding onto a guy like Beauchemin isn't exactly the smartest thing to do. Plus if you could clear his contract for say a 2nd round pick wouldn't that give you the necessary cap space for a Kaberle and Schenn raise?
Like I said, I'm not trying to sell you on him. I'm simply explaining his value to the Leafs.

Toronto doesn't need a ton of changes, they need 3 substantial changes -- top line LW (currently Joey Crabb), top line C (currently Tyler Bozak who needs to be on the 3rd) and starting goaltender. The D is fine, the 2nd line is fine, the 3rd line would be fine (if Bozak was the centre), the 4th line for the most part is irrelevant and happens to be fine (Brown-Brent/Boyce-Orr).

Beauchemin's salary cap space has absolutely nothing to do with Kaberle or Schenn. If Toronto trades Beauchemin, they'll need to replace him, and it's going to cost more than $3.8m to do so. Nobody in the system is capable of doing so either. Toronto has room to increase Kaberle's salary a bit from $4.25m, and the additional cap space required for Schenn will have to come from the area of non-puckmoving big salaried defenceman (Komisarek or Phaneuf).

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote