View Single Post
Old
01-27-2011, 04:49 PM
William H Bonney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Knoll View Post
That's fair, particularly with the emergence of Clifford as a guy who can really scrap and do it as a middleweight. That said, I still think you can roll four lines with Westgarth dressed. If you need him to challenge someone, send him in, if not treat it like a situation where you've got 7 D dressed take that opportunity to mix and match a little. Murray's got some line combos in mind that he has seldom utilized, this would give him a chance to give them a look.
I just don't think we have enough offensive talent to sacrifice someone for the sake of Westgarth sitting at the end of the bench to potentially challenge someone to most likely a staged fight for a couple reasons. First, how many "heat of the play" fights has Westgarth been in? Of his 7 fights this year, 4 were staged off of the face-off, 2 were in scrums after the play, and 1 was a heat of the moment fight against Scott where Westgarth got destroyed. It'd be one thing if Westy was getting into fights because he was involved in the play, throwing his weight around, irritating our opponents, etc. It's different, at least to me, when it's just a staged square off involving a guy on his 4th shift of the entire game. It'd be different if we were dressing a fighter that contributed something offensively but Westy right now isn't that guy. Second, I don't think we have a forward outside of Kopitar that's shown they even deserve a double shift and I don't think Kopi has shown he has the necessary endurance and tenacity for that opportunity at this time. Again, I feel we're better off rolling a fourth line with 3 capable players intended to put pressure on the opposition, which adds up over time so a Kopitar, Brown, Williams, Stoll, etc. can take advantage when it matters.

I get, in certain games, having Westy dressed for that potential but the 36 games he's dressed so far don't qualify for all of those.

Last edited by William H Bonney: 01-27-2011 at 05:20 PM.
William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote