View Single Post
Old
01-27-2011, 11:29 PM
sjmay*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
OK, dont come back with the same tired response of "what else is there".

But now, objectively, you can see how the 5 year plan is getting stretched into the 8-10 year plan. Its not like those of us who have been LONGTIME fans are jumping ship (what else is there -- I didnt say I couldn't use it) but the whole filling in the boxes on DL's chart and being a Stanley Cup contender in 5 years is just the load of BS that DL was selling back then, and most of us bought it. Now, realizing that it cant ever have been true, we have to continue paying on the load we bought into so as not to throw value away.

I am not saying he hasnt improved the team and built for the future, but the timeframe sold, and yes I know some of you think the first several years dont really count, was pure BS (or we just took it too literally -- 5 means 8, like no means yes). But if there is little to pick up via UFA and DL is now on record saying trades in the cap era arent that useful (go back and listen to the NHL LIVE interview), we really are stuck waiting until the youngsters, very young youngsters, progress and that adds another three years minimum to the plan.

No matter how you slice it, 8 years is a long loooooong rebuild.

I guess the waiting is the hardest part.
I think you set a clock to his statement, that DL's 5th year working with the Kings, would be the 5th year in that his rebuild would end etc, which is completely wrong, as he didn't actually START re-building, until his 2nd or 3rd year with LA, you do remember McCauley, Calder, Preissing, etc, all the bridge players that were brought in to keep "competitive" etc, I believe the 2007 draft was the actual beginning of the rebuild and you can see what was taken shape after that,

2007 - Hickey, Moller, Simmonds, Martinez

2008 - Doughty, Teubert, Voynov, Lotkionov, Cambpell

2009 - Schenn, Clifford, Vey, Deslauriers, Kolomatis, Kozun

2010 - Forbort, Toffoli, Weal, Kitsyn,

It's been 4 years that he has actually been building the team, so yea, I believe your timeline is just a bit off of center there...