View Single Post
Old
01-28-2011, 03:12 AM
Josh Deitell
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
In regards to Kopi and possibly moving on without him, just a reminder that he is only 23 years old and comes from a non-traditional hockey country. After that, he played in the offense-first SEL, where he wasn't exactly heavily exposed to body contact and intense defensive structure, before jumping straight to the NHL. He's likely going to get better every year until he's almost 30. From all I've seen of him in practice, he's a hard worker with a good attitude that loves to play the game. Those types of players don't always have ceilings.

Trading Kopitar would be an immense mistake. He has the potential to have his number up in the rafters some day.

As for Brownie, he takes his captaincy pretty seriously. Too seriously maybe, but it also puts the spotlight on him more than it should. If he was on the second line without a letter, he wouldn't get half as much criticism as he does now. I think he's a good captain. I'm sure it's not easy, particularly when things have gone sour. The team has committed a big part of their future success to Brown. Teams rarely win Cups without solid captains. The jury's still out on him as the team's leader, in my opinion. I don't think anyone will disagree that when he's on his game, he's a star on this team with his hitting and can produce offensively, but consistency is an issue.

Josh Deitell is offline   Reply With Quote