View Single Post
Old
01-30-2011, 01:45 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I think we need a legitimate goalscorer as well. I'm not sold on needing a veteran puck mover on D, that is something I could see us renting at the trade deadline after we get a 2nd line centre and a goalscorer. Come next year, MAYBE Schenn will be that centre we need.
If Doughty and Johnson continue to improve and you add in Martinez and possibly Voynov into the mix, the Kings are going to have a lot of mobility on the blueline. That is not counting Hickey who is starting to play better in Manchester.

If they were to add any type of defenseman, I would think it would be a physical veteran dman for insurance in case a vet like Mitchell or Greene gets hurt. Most teams making a serious run for the playoffs make that type of addition (see Chicago acquiring Boynton or Pittsburgh trading for Boucher in previous deadline deals).

Names like Hejda, Rivet or Vandermeer might be some options to consider. All are impending free agents as well, and I would gladly swap Drewiske and a draft pick away for any of those dmen.

While I think Schenn is penciled in as the future #2 C, I don't think they are going to hand him that spot quite yet as he still has to physically and mentally mature to handle the rigors, the ice time and the physical play of the NHL. He'll be going up against bigger bodies and he has to have an injury free offseason and show up to camp in terrific shape.

While it does make a lot of sense for the Kings to upgrade their secondary scoring, in reality, there just aren't many options available to fill that position that would be an improvement over Stoll. Dallas is not going to trade Brad Richards, and if they do, it won't be to LA. So then who is left? Tim Connolly or Vaclav Prospal, and are they that much better than Stoll? I think they're going to have to just stick with who they have down the middle, once Handzus becomes a UFA, Stoll could fill the #3 spot and they can leave the #2 spot open for competition in camp.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote