View Single Post
Old
01-30-2011, 09:07 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

vCash: 500

coaches Dr. Jan Starsi and Ivan Hlinka

Brian Propp - Cyclone Taylor - Helmuts Balderis
Tommy Smith - Igor Larionov - George Armstrong (A)
Vinny Damphousse - Red Sullivan (A) - Bengt-Åke Gustafsson
Jack Marks - Brian Skrudland - Pat Flatley
Frank Rankin, Moose Watson

Red Kelly (C) - Tom Johnson
Vladimir Lutchenko - Battleship Leduc
Fred Lake - Phil Housley
Albert Langlois

Hugh Lehman
John Vanbiesbrouck

Red Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Kelly, in a Legends of Hockey interview
"I had a temper. I had red hair," Kelly laughs. "I was the welterweight boxing champ at St. Mike's. I could take care of myself. Joe Primeau taught me you don't win games in the penalty box. You've got to stay on the ice. Players would try to get you off the ice sometimes but you're more valuable to a team when you're on the ice."
Cyclone Taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kieran, New York Times, March 27th 1930
The greatest player that ever pulled a pair of skates on his feet. That's who Cyclone Taylor was. And a fighter! I remember the night he and Newsy Lalonde had it out on the ice, and then, after the game, Newsy was getting on a street car and Taylor, coming up from behind, grabbed him by the leg and pulled him off. They fought in the snow for an hour.
Igor Larionov

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL teammates
"He was a leader, but a silent man with us. He leads by example. He wasn't a big man, but he was always in good shape. He did his work on the ice and he didn't say much, but when he did, guys would listen because he had so much experience and knowledge of the game. It was an honor to play with Igor Larionov."

"Igor with the puck, he would always seem to slow things down. Unbelievable passer, and you just can't say enough about the vision that he had out there on the ice, with or without the puck, at both ends. He was a huge part of our success and us winning Stanley Cups."
Tom Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by journalist Red Fisher, in interview
''Of all the great players I covered in Montreal in the 1950s, I don't think there was anybody who played with more pain when he had to,'' said Fisher. ''He'd take shots in his knees. They were ripped up, and he'd come out and play. Injuries didn't matter to this guy. He'd never make any kind of a big deal about it. As a result, he became a great favorite of (then Canadiens general manager) Frank Selke Sr. He didn't play too many favorites, but certainly, Tom Johnson was one of his favorites."
Brian Propp

Vladimir Lutchenko

He was the cornerstone of the great USSR teams' defense in the 1970s, effective in the 1972 Summit Series, the 1974 Series, the 1976 Canada Cup bronze medal, eight world championships and ten Soviet league titles, in addition to two Olympic golds. He was a Soviet all-star for seven years in a row: 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977.

George Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by the back of his 1970-71 Topps Card
Never a prolific scorer, George is a tenacious checker and his perserverance in the corners is evident in the number of times he comes with the puck.
Phil Housley

Quote:
"Phantom Phil" played quarterback and defensive back in high school, so no surprise he is good at reading plays. He has scored 300+ NHL goals and 1200+ NHL points and seven times played in NHL All-Star Game (1984, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 2000)
Helmuts Balderis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouting Report of Derek Holmes, tech director of Hockey Canada, as reported Feb., 3rd 1979, The Globe & Mail
"Helmut Balderis, right wing - Worth the price of admission. Fantastic skills. Probably the best player in the world. Offensive-oriented player who has a great touch around the net and dazzling speed."
Hugh Lehman

Vinny Damphousse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourhistory.canadiens
Considered one of the most complete centermen in Canadiens history, Vincent Damphousse was known not only for his huge offensive output, but also for his great two-way play and significant defensive contributions.
Albert "Battleship” Leduc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ourhistory.canadiens
Always moving at top speed, Leduc’s devastating body checks made him a fan favorite at the Forum. Cracking the NHL’s top 10 most penalized players list on three occasions, the robust rearguard fittingly earned himself the nickname “Battleship”. As adept with the puck as he was at retrieving it...
Tommy Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-Notes
On more than one occasion, though, he surprised some of the more rugged types in the league when they tried to slap him around. He was also the top face-off man of his era.

Last edited by VanIslander: 04-08-2011 at 12:12 PM.
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote