Thread: Recalled/Assigned: Grachev, Newbury, Del Zotto recalled by NYR
View Single Post
Old
01-30-2011, 10:18 PM
JasonDoig*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Patience is good and fine. But if you look at it from a historical perspective, how many players become top 6 offensive NHL threats after two mediocre seasons in the AHL? (productionwise)

Not perfectly comparable, but Grachev's hartford numbers are not dissimilar to Hugh Jessiman's. Admittedly Grachev has already made it further than Jessiman by actually playing NHL games, but for the most part that is attributable to our obscene number of injuries this year.

I have not seen the "stuff" from Grachev in hartford. He doesnt take control of the game with the puck on his stick. This is why I've reverted my expectations to possible 3rd line winger, and hope to be surprised. But I doubt it.
How many players have had Brian Boyle's developmental path? Or Gilroy's? I understand your point and you're right, but at the same time let's not undersell him at the same time. Outside of the elite prospects like a Seguin, most huge forwards take time to adjust to the professional game. You're right that his call up was due to injuries, but the reason for it is irrelevant. He didn't look out of place on the 3rd line and that's all that matters. Dan Girardi was called up solely because of injury and look where he is now. Lundqvist only got so many starts early on in his rookie year because Weekes sucked. The reason for opportunity doesn't matter; only how you take advantage of it. Grachev was hardly great but he did not at all look out of place, and thats a LOT more than you could say about Jessiman at ANY age, let alone 20. If he's missing curfews or being lazy or being a problem in the locker room then I'll worry, but for now let's just sit back and watch him play and we can nitpick about things 2 years from now when we have a better gauge on what kind of player he is developing into.

The people who demand instant gratification out of Grachev are equally as ignorant as the people who called him our top prospect the past 1-2 years.

JasonDoig* is offline   Reply With Quote