View Single Post
Old
01-31-2011, 12:16 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
World War II is what hold Harvey back. He was also a fantastic football and baseball player, so he made not have made his decision on which sport he wanted to play extensively yet. He made the Montreal Canadiens team on his first training camp. Although it definitely took him a couple of years before implementing himself as the best defenceman of his era.
Thanks for clarifying that.

I was wondering about WW2 and saw that he was playing hockey but didn't investigate in full detail on how and why he didn't play for Montreal until the age 23.

Still I have to say that the argument about Bourque's competition compared to Lidstrom needs to be looked at with Harvey as some of the 4 guys on the 1st and 2nd all star teams are well less than inspiring IMO.

I still think on the surface that a lot of his ranking is based on reputation but I will look into it further.

One thing that is always difficult is to not over compensate for guys in the 30 team NHL (or larger than the 06 era) and not fully appreciate the top guys in the 06 era.

Being in my early 40's, and not some young pup as suggested by others, not seeing him play is definitely a disadvantage of truly being able to rank him as well.

But I'm open minded about it and not entrenched in my ranking of the all time best Dmen either and realize that Harvey was the best Dman of his era.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote