View Single Post
Old
01-31-2011, 09:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Philips is one of Ottawa's best assets. They aren't going to let him walk cheaply. They'll want at least a prospect that can step in today and play and a 2nd round pick. To get him today we overpay because the closer the deadline gets the more valuable he becomes to our competition. He's the kind of player that teams want for the playoffs and better teams than us have more depth to play with. (Bos, Wsh)
I don't think they'll get that much, he is a rental and teams don't pay a lot for rentals not called Hossa or Kovalchuk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Okay lets be fair here.

Bobby Mac said the Habs should be interested in Phillips.

Reasons why I don't think we go after Phillips is:

1.Hes a pending UFA who loves Ottawa, Ottawa wants the best bang for their buck, and for all we know he could go back to Ottawa in the off-season.

2.Gauthier has stated he likes to build for the immediate and future, so a Dman with 2-3 more years makes much more sense.

3.Why would we go after a rental when our D core is absolutely battered, and our Top 6 has a gaping glaring hole in it?

4.CP is 32, and yes he would compliment our system well but so would a bunch of other players. Gauthier likes young, possibly having potential still, type of players 18-28 age range imo.

Those are just a few reasons why I don't think CP would be traded to Montreal.
If he really wanted to stay in Ottawa he would have signed an extension by now. I can see him as a good fit, especially if we can get him signed for 3-4 years at a reasonable price(4 years 14 mil) as a replacement for Gill who is much slower and struggled to move the puck in transition.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote