jkrx

vCash: 500
Stephen Gregory "Steve" Yzerman, C

Height: 5'11"
Weight: 185 lbs
Shoots: Right
Born: May 9, 1965 in Cranbrook, British Columbia
Number: 19

Drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in the 1st round (4th overall) of the 1983 NHL Entry Draft.

Inducted into Hockey Hall of Fame as Player in 2009

- Stanley Cup Champion (1997, 1998 and 2002)
- Stanley Cup Finalist (1995)
- Conn Smythe Trophy (1998)
- Frank J. Selke Trophy (2000)
- Lester B. Pearson Trophy (1989)
- Bill Masterton Trophy (2003)
- NHL 1st All-Star Team (2000)
- NHL All-Rookie Team (1984)
- Top-10 in Goals 6 Times (6th, 3rd, 2nd, 2nd, 6th, 6th)
- Top-10 in Assists 5 Times (7th, 3rd, 10th, 7th, 3rd)
- Top-10 in Points 6 Times (3rd, 3rd, 7th, 7th, 4th, 10th)
- Top-10 in Even Strenght Goals 6 Times (3rd, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 5th)

All-time with the Red Wings
Goals: 2nd with 692; behind Gordie Howe (786)
Assists: 1st with 1063
Games Played: 2nd with 1514; 2nd behind Gordie Howe (1678)

All-Time NHL

Goals: 692 ( 8th)
Assists: 1063 (7th)
Games Played: 1514 (10th)

- Olympic Champion (2002)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Yzerman
It's been a great honor for me to be a player for the Detroit Red Wings, to play for an Original Six franchise. I know I'm far from perfect, but I learned a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzerman
And for the team, I always tried to do the right thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc Robitaille
"Some nights you'd see him try to climb up the stairs to get on an airplane and wonder, 'How can he be ready for a game in 24 hours?’ But that's part of the package you see every day when you are around Steve Yzerman. I always thought I knew how much it took to win a Stanley Cup, but I didn't really get it until I sat in that locker room and on that bench and watched Steve.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demers
"Trade Steve Yzerman? That's like asking me if I want to trade my son Jason for the kid next door."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Albom
"Yzerman is not the youngest, the strongest, nor the fastest, and he was never the biggest. But make no mistake, he is the maximus of gladiators, the man who fights wounded and bleeding, with a heart as large as any lion they spring on him."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren McCarty
“He deserves it all. It’s all perseverance. He’s stuck through some tough times — tough times when XXXX first came here, trade rumors, some 20-win seasons — he’s been through a lot. He’s all about the team, and he proves that the way he plays and the way he carries himself. I’m proud of him as a player. Just from watching him, he’s taught us younger guys about being a professional athlete, playing in the NHL and being a good role model. He’s getting everything he deserves.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lewis
“If there was a trophy for courage, he would have already won it. I’m going to be thrilled to see him back out there. Just to be able to say, ‘Yzerman, your line is up,’ is going to be some of the greatest words I’ve ever said.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Pang
“I believe winning the Stanley Cup and the gold medal the same year was something Steve Yzerman will look back on and be proud about. He was struggling with the knee and some thought that might be the end of his career. It might have been for somebody else. He fought his way back. He wanted to compete,”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Hull
“It begins and ends with Steve”

Last edited by jkrx: 01-31-2011 at 02:12 PM.
jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote